Please find instructions for this weeks History lessons below.
Lesson 1: (Monday March 30th)
Topic: The Founding of the GAA.
Textbook pages: 122-126
Learning Intentions: Summarise the foundation of the GAA and explain its early popularity.
1) Read pages 122-126
2) Answer questions 1-5, page 126.
3) Complete a fact file, containing at least 10 significant & relevant facts on either Michael Cusack or Douglas Hyde. Use the internet for further research if required.
Lesson 2: (Tuesday March 31st)
Topic: IRB influence on the GAA & The Parnell Scandal
Textbook pages: 126-130
Learning Intentions: List and outline how several different organisations and individuals influenced the growth and development of the GAA in its early years.
1) Read pages 126-130.
2) Answer questions 1-5, page 130.
3) Using the information on pages 128 & 129 specifically, create a timeline illustrating all of the 'firsts' in the GAA. For example, your timeline should indicate when the first Football and Hurling championship was held as well as any other major sporting tournaments. You must include at least one significant fact about each event on your timeline also.
Lesson 3: (Wednesday April 1st)
Topic: The GAA & Political Crisis in Ireland
Textbook pages: 131
Learning Intentions: Describe the role played by the GAA in political crisis in Ireland and the impact of political crisis on the organisation.
1) Read page 131.
2) Create a mindmap illustrating the role played by and the effects of the struggle for independence to the GAA. For example include symbols and images that represent Gaelic Sunday and Bloody Sunday to you. Remember your mindmap tells a story through mainly images.
Lesson 4: (Thursday April 2nd)
Topic: The Players & Managers of the GAA
Textbook pages: 132
Learning Intentions: Describe the contribution made by one player or manager to the GAA over the years.
1) Examine the personalities in the photographs on the bottom of page 132.
2) Chose ONE player or manager pictured OR your own GAA idol and create a PowerPoint presentation of no more than 10 slides, summarising their sporting career and contribution to the GAA.
Your PowerPoint should at least include the following facts:
-Name of player/manager
-Photograph of player/manager
-Date of birth of player/manager
-Associated Province, county & town
-A brief account of their sporting career to date.
-Why you chose this player/manager.
-Their best sporting quality.
-Their best sporting achievement to date.
-Significance/contribution to the GAA to date.
Remember your PowerPoint should be neat, well presented using various layouts, coloured backgrounds, headings, sub-headings, etc. You can simply attach the PowerPoint to your email when returning work. If you have any questions regarding any of the work outlined above, please do not hesitate to contact me via email during normal school hours.